Friday 29 July 2011

Sign here, here and here...


The article in question...


Back the turn of the century, I was an chap full of ideals looking to get into the media. Having stumbled into hospital radio, it was ambitious time maybe spreading my wings away from a Monday afternoon radio show. So how do you ask for advice when you don't come from a media family?

In the 80's my eldest brother brought a very early edition of Who's Who on Television and from that there was so much to learn, not only about the people inside but also contacts of who to write to. Really this was my inspiration, maybe with a touch of desperation in there too.

After searching, I bought myself a copy of said book to see what I get from it. Apart from addresses, a lot as it turned out. When just looking at this tome, a thought came into my mind. Could I wrote to all the people in this book and get an autograph from them, thus turning on the charm and praising celebrities to the hilt. From this came autographs from the likes of Rolf, Melvyn Bragg and even Lou Carpenter himself... All people I admired from the television, but my record Hale and Pace aren't on television any more and the less said about Angus Deayton the better!

So on 29th May 2000, came first my autograph... So I thought, but it was something more...
A hand signed letter from Arabella Weir, from this I was tickled pink that she would take the time to do this...

The onslaught of ink continued, which got me think who was the best person to go to for advice. The one man who had been there for me through my life...

Hello again!

John Craven was always a influence on me, watching him on Saturday morning and also on Newsround as well. The plunge taken I wrote off with in trepidation thinking he was too big for likes of me, but then this arrived with said photo.

The nicest guy in the world...

This gave me the boost to go on and start on a path towards media, I did hospital radio till 2004. Then we sort of drifted apart and from that Televisual Cabbage was born to indulge the comedy side but if it wasn't for John Craven's kind words I wouldn't have had the confidence to go further...

No comments:

Post a Comment